Car Window Tint Removal
Window tints can add aesthetic values and improve the function to a car. Tinting of the windows protects the interiors of the car as well as the individuals inside from damages caused by UV rays. While this process offers some benefits, it faces a potential drawback of poor visibility for the drivers and law enforcing professionals such a traffic police personnel who might require seeing inside the car. In the United State, every state has window tint laws that will facilitate drivers to use window tints and at the same time protect the safety of every individual on the road. These laws dictate the capacity of tinting to be allowed on each window of a car. The current laws in the various states and countries do not allow the presence of tints on screen of cars after a certain permissibility level. Legality in some cases may serve as a reason for removal though other owners have their own personal reasons. Though these tints have certain advantages for the individuals who like them installed but with stringent laws and rules that governs them, it’s advisable to get them removed instead of getting penalties, fines and charges every day. The car window tint deteriorates with age and will require removal. The two common signs of a dying film include dread purple coatings and the bubbled film. The former is initiated by the presence of non-metallic dyes in the film causing the color to break down and change. The latter is a symbol that the adhesive utilized in the tinting of the window is failing. A bubble on the window is normally followed by many others with time. Removing a window tint through pealing normally result into sticking mess on the glass that which probably takes hours to scrape. Due to this challenge several techniques are applied in the removal of window tints (Armando, 2009).
How to Remove Tint from Car Window
There are various processes used in removing Car window tints. The first technique is use of Sun and Ammonia. This method is most effective during sunny days. In areas where clouds dominate heating of the rear window can be employed. This technique utilizes five steps;
- Step number one will involve cutting two black garbage bags in a manner that it resembles the window. Spraying soapy water on the outer sides of the window follows while covering this section with one of the prepared black bags. Smoothing of the plastic into a flatting position is then done.
- Protection of all the inside surfaces adjacent to the window using a tarp follows. The speakers and rear lights are to be protected. Wear a mask then spray. Ammonium fumes are allergic thus people respond differently to its exposure to it.
- The fumes are then trapped against the window films while still wet where a plastic wrappings are formed using multiple layers of film. When under the sun, the bags will absorb the heat to help the film peel off smoothly.
- Peeling of the film then follows. Fingernails or a razor blade can be used to lift the window film in a corner of the window. The peeling of the film should be done in one entire piece. One should be prudent not to defroster the lines. The tinting should be kept moist using ammonia during striping. A razor blade should be used is scraping off any tint that did not peel.
- The final stage is the removal any residual adhesives using the ammonia and a fine steel wool through wiping the window area with a paper towel before it dries. The outer bag is then removed and window cleaned properly using a glass cleaner.
The second technique that can be utilized in the removal of tint from a car is by the use of a steamer. This is the easiest method. The first step is to purchase a fabric steamer that cost about 20 to 30 dollars. It is then filled and turned on to steam the window. After steaming for minutes, the glue undergoes melting and the tint peels off .When the tint is removed, a good adhesive can be used as a remover and then wiping of the area clean is done (Armando, 2009).
The third method is to use soap, and newspapers. This method utilizes the below steps;
- Application of a soapy detergent water on the window using a sponge is performed followed by a cover from newspapers. The application is left for one hour. Whenever the paper is up, reapply it in 20 minutes intervals so as to maintain the moisture that seeps through it.
- A razor blade is then used. A simple scrape off of top layer of the tint film is done using long strokes. The soapy water is reintroduced after half an hour when the top layer doesn’t peel in the desired strips.
- The last stage in this method is rubbing off of the razor blade over the tint causing peeling off to occur as the spray is applied.
The fourth method is the use of Heat from a hair dryer at a conservative manner. This produces increased heat amonts than the steamer. It utilizes the following steps;
- Steaming of the corner of the tint where the steamer is held at a distance 1.25 to 5 cm away from the tint until picking it using the fingernails is possible.
- Peeling and steaming is done simultaneously, to loosen the glue with the steam immediately when performing the peel. Peeling is done slowly to avoid breaking of the tint.
- Wiping to remove the glue with a towel in then done. One is required to press with force so that the glue sticks to the towel. In addition to that, steaming the glue before wiping can be applied.
- Finally the window in cleaned properly with the glass cleaner.
Getting rid of car window tinting for good
The present laws in different states and countries do not allow the presence of tinting on the windows of your car after a certain permissibility level. Legality can be an issue for some, and others may want to get these tints removed for their own reasons. These tints do have certain advantages for which people like to get them installed but with stringent rules and laws governing these, it is better to get them removed instead of facing fines and charges every day. There are a lot of ways you can get these removed, some people might want to remove it themselves, others may see it fit to hire professional help. Whatever you may choose to do, getting car window tint removal done may be a necessity in these times.
Easy Way to Remove Automotive Window Tint
The reasons why you should get it removed!
By now, it should be clear that it is illegal to have car window tinting installed in your car. For those who are still wondering what the permissible limits are, the fact is there needs to be at least 70-80% transparency in the windows to maintain visibility. In most of the states, car window tint removal is done in order to improve the crime rates, as lack of transparency makes it difficult to observe what the occupants of a vehicle may be doing. Therefore, almost every state has laws against window tinting these days. Sometimes, people get it removed after they get bored of the colour, or it starts tearing off at the edges making it unsightly. Therefore, no matter what the reason, getting tinting removed may be a wise decision!
Mighty Car Mods : How To Remove Window Tint
Why you should hire professionals
The task of tint removal is not as easy a task as it may appear. A tedious task requires precision and care while removing the tinting films off your car windows. It is very important that you know which type of tinting was done in order to make sure of the correct techniques to take it off. This is why it is best left to professionals to get rid of the car tint, so that you do not end up damaging your car or hurting yourself. There are many ways in which car window tint removal is done for example, heating the film before taking it out. This is the standard method, although many professionals prefer the ammonia method, where the film is sprayed with ammonia and then as it dissolves the window is wiped clean. It requires precision to take off that tint, so in order not to cause more damage than good, hire professionals!
How to get window tint glue off
Problematic globs of glue or paints cause the drying and hardening of car windows thus creating unsightly blur. This can be caused by peeling auto decals from windshields which result into leaving of sticky, gooey and greasy residues on the window. Most individuals find powerful adhesives resistant to water thus a combination of solvents and a scrapper can be applied (Graham, Bergin, & Salariya, 2014). One of the techniques that can be applied is the use of solvents which follows the below steps;
- Rubbing of the glue with alcohol or a nail polish remover. A significant amount of the solvent is poured onto a paper towel first. Rubbing in a circular motion is then done to soften the glue.one should then revisit the spots with a fresh rag to rub the leftovers which will also help to cover up the smell of alcohol or nail polisher used.
- The next step is to use white vinegar in removing the residues left by masking tape. The tape should be left long enough on the window glass. The residue is then wiped a couple of times with a soft cloth that is damp with the vinegar. The adhesive is left to set for one minute the rubbing is performed using a fresh piece of cloth. Rubbing continues while application of more vinegar is done until you remove the entire dried-on adhesive. The surface is then dried and polished with a clean cloth.
- A commercial detergent such as Fast Orange or Goo Gone is then applied to remove the glue residue.
The Cost to Remove Window Tint
Most shops that offer services such as window tint removal require different charges for the service that depends on the type of car and the quality of work expected. However none of these shops will offer any window tint removal service for less than $50.However it is advisable for those individuals who want to save an extra dollar to get a razor and take out most of the tint. It will only take about an hour, and he or she can then proceed to the nearest shop to leave the rest of the work attended at the store with negotiated charges. For professional tinting services, companies offer $25 to $50 per window but this can accompany some discounts when the entire vehicle is to be serviced. High quality tint removal services cost $199 to $400 for the entire car though some factors will still apply (Baldock, McLean, & Kloeden, 2010).
Remove because of illegal window tinting levels
Currently it should be clear that it is illegal in most states to have car window tinting installed in his or her car. Most individuals are still wondering about the permissible limits that are laid in place to control this issue but the fact is that there need to be at least 70 to 80 percent transparency in the windows to enable visibility. In most of the states the car window tint removal in performed with the aims of improving the rates of crimes that has been noted to grow since the matter gained concern from the society. In addition to that states are enforcing the removal of tinting in windows to remove the lack of transparency that makes it difficult to observe what the occupants of vehicle and what they will be doing in the car. Getting the tinting removed is a wiser decision because it will create ease to traffic officers who are faced with the challenge of not identifying criminals, or assaults that use tinted vehicles to hide while escaping from crime scenes. Criminals can utilize a fully tinted car as an escape vehicle provided they drive away from the crime scene without being noticed by the security cameras available at the area (Graham, Bergin, & Salariya, 2014). In addition to that, there are cases where individuals are kidnapped and ferried in vehicles that are tinted. The fact that an individual outside the car cannot notice the activities that are taking place in such a car, the kidnappers will have a through way in transporting the victim without interference of other road users next to their cars. Moreover, any struggles from the victims should only be physical enough to cause window breakage because the road users can only notice when the inner parts of the car are properly visible.
Car owners should treat the removal of car window tilting as a move towards reduction of the rates of crimes that have been propelled by criminal persons using tinted window cars. When deciding the method to use in removal of tints in windows one should consider the type of car and quality of service expected. It is advisable to use cleaning solvents when removing glue residues left out during cleaning of windows that tint removal has been done.
Alternatives to window tinting you can use
There are varieties of alternatives that can be used in place of these window tints. The best of them is to use car window curtains in order to give your car a total make over and save yourself from the scorching summer heat at the same time. No one can deny that window curtains in a car look ethereal, if chosen with some taste. Another good option is vacuum suction detachable films that are sold at many supermarkets, although there are some states that have even banned these, so make sure that your state permits their use before buying them.
Armando Limon , Jr, (2009). The Four Basic Steps in Window Tinting Your Car (2nd e.d) New York Publishers.
Baldock, M., McLean, A., & Kloeden, C. (2010). Front side window tinting visual light transmittance requirements (1st ed.). [Adelaide]: Centre for Automotive Safety Research, University of Adelaide.
Graham, I., Bergin, M., & Salariya, D. (2014). Cars (1st ed.). [Brighton, East Sussex, England]: Book House.